Salt & Straw Ice Cream will open its first Nevada scoop shop at UnCommons, Matter Real Estate Group’s much-anticipated mixed-use development at Interstate 215 and Durango Drive in southwest Las Vegas, in early 2023.
A family-run business, Salt & Straw was founded by cousins Kim and Tyler Malek in 2011. Originally serving ice cream from a pushcart with eight flavors, Salt & Straw is best known for its locally sourced ingredients.
“We are so honored to have a place in this special project bringing incredible food and a wonderful community gathering place to Las Vegas,” says Kim Malek, Founder and CEO at Salt & Straw in a statement. “We are hoping to be a part of creating memories in this community for generations to come.”
“Our team has been fans of Salt & Straw’s classic and whimsical creations for years and are thrilled to bring their ice cream to Nevada for the first time,” said Matter Real Estate Group Partner Jim Stuart. “As the cherry on top, Kim and Tyler’s commitment to their employees and community make them the perfect partner for UnCommons.”
Salt & Straw will hire 25+ positions to staff this newest location, offering extensive training programs in hospitality, food safety and leadership. Benefits include access to affordable, high-quality health care; family leave; employee assistance; disability insurance, and paid time off for both full-time and part-time employees.
Salt & Straw menu features 12 classic flavors like Sea Salt with Caramel Ribbons, Honey Lavender, as well as a rotating monthly menu like the “Ice SCREAM” series in October/Halloween:
- The Great Candycopia – Homemade Kit Kats, Reese’s, Snickers, Heath bars folded into a salted butterscotch ice cream
- Don Bugito’s Creepy Crawly Critters – Matcha ice cream with toffee-brittle mealworms and chocolate crickets (yes, real bugs!)
- Jack o’ Lantern Pumpkin Bread – Hunks of just-baked pumpkin bread and swaths of whipped cream cheese frosting in a pumpkin spiced ice cream
- Black Cat Licorice & Lavender – A silky, pitch-dark anise and fennel caramel with luminous salted lavender ice cream
- Double Bubble Toil & Trouble (v) – 2 spices and 3 fruits combined in a coconut cream that tastes just like bubble gum